The Forum

A Public Newspaper for a Private School

The Forum

The Forum

Blood Drive Aims to Break Records

The+2024+Valentines+themed+blood+drive+was+the+second+biggest+in+school+history.+
Maisey Brown
The 2024 Valentine’s themed blood drive was the second biggest in school history.

On Jan. 7, 2024, the American Red Cross spoke on the ongoing blood shortage happening nationwide. They declared an emergency blood shortage, having experienced the lowest number of people giving blood in the last  20 years. This is why the Paideia Winter Blood Drive that happened this past February undoubtedly came at the right time.

On Feb. 23, the Valentine’s  themed winter blood drive took place. This love-filled blood drive was the second biggest blood drive in Paideia history, with over 160 donors signing up. At the drive, 109 units of blood  were collected. Between the two blood drives hosted this year, over 200 units of blood were donated. The American Red Cross states that one pint of blood can save up to three lives, meaning Paideia’s blood drives saved potentially 600 lives this school year. 

Kate Banks ’24, a leader of Paideia blood drives, spoke on preparation for the blood drive: “In the months leading up to the drive, we have weekly team meetings where we brainstorm the layout of the drive, coordinate with the Red Cross and maintenance, think about how to recruit the most donors and make people more aware about the blood drive, and make sure we have everything ready for the big day.” Banks stated that each blood drive is dedicated toward a person or organization. The past few blood drives were dedicated to Paideia alum and leukemia survivor, Sofia Irlando. This February’s drive was dedicated to Janel Green, a Paideia community member who passed away from breast cancer. To celebrate Green, an activist, students wrote letters of gratitude and shared ideas for how to improve the world. A previous drive partnered with Be the Match, an organization that focuses on bone marrow transplants, which are crucial for patients suffering from blood diseases. 

Paideia has a running competition with Decatur High School on who can host the biggest blood drive, so as the blood drives continue, more and more people will donate. This friendly rivalry helps thousands of people around the nation get blood.